I think, based on my last post of length, you know that is my job. We are coming up on Halloween, and here’s what’s going down.
1. The new bathroom. My bathroom is now torn down to the studs. There is some spoooooky insulation still in the wall, and the builders ambitiously (and accidentally) knocked a whole through the wall into one of the spare bedrooms. Guess that’s a hint about expanding the bathroom, but we aren’t going to. I am sure that you will receive exciting updates, like when the new plumbing works, or when the house is remasted, stuff like that. I can feel you out there, barely breathing, on the edge of your seats.
Right now I’m showering at the Kirkwood Rec Center. Yeah. My life in a gym bag.
2. People keep rejecting me after almost accepting me. And encouraging me to write and send more. And all the stuff, good and bad that goes with that. But mostly good.
3. Halloween! The big bin of ripped out bathroom has disappeared from the yard after three days, and so Skeleton Wedding will go off as planned. Bryon has made the cake, bought the rats, and the bride is dangling from the rafters in our garage. There will be pictures.
4. I…have a job interview with the University of Central Florida. Yes, Tomorrowland has asked my to Lync in next Tuesday. It’s an English Language Institute/Faculty Supervisory job that would place us right in the heart of Orlando, and would be an excellent position to be in while I finish the second half of my career. I don’t know. See number 2 above. I think it might apply, but believe me, I’ll let you all know if I end up moving to Orlando. And yes, Bryon and I would have loads of wrinkles to iron out, so either way is both good and bad.
5. NaNoWriMo begins very, very soon. I am signed up and ready for my fingers to fly. We are hiring a new teacher at work, so next week I get a lot of time off to write, so it’ll be almost like a little mini-vacation, and I am going to crank out that first draft of Pawn of Isis, as we discussed before.
6. There are a couple of open calls for manuscripts that I will be taking advantage of, one in November, and one in the new year.
7. Bryon’s mom is having more memory issues. This is Not Good (TM). He is concerned, which doesn’t help his condition at all, which is also Not Good (TM). I’m still working on getting him to relax, and I’m working on him to get to a counselor. I think we’re getting closer there. Of course he’s going to feel bad and stressed. I know, as someone who is often anxious, that sometimes it’s got to be a conscious decision to detach, even though it is hard. He is just learning that. At any rate, reporting for supportive spouse duty.
So, are you ready for Halloween? Thanksgiving? The fake and real holiday seasons? All that good stuff? Because I am so ready. Holiday cards, costumes, the smell of turkey at Granite City, hiring actors to be my family over the holidays? What? You know I don’t talk to my real family. Besides, you envy me. I know you want to replace your own family at those get togethers. Yeah, really.
In all seriousness, if you have a good family, enjoy them for me this holiday season. I’ll weigh in with some hot tips for those of us in recovery, as I often do in this season.
And I’m out of here for now.