From my friend Catrina, the 50 most hated literary characters!.
Notable for me:
1. I hate Humbert Humbert. There is nothing you can say to me about him that would make me like anything about him. I am happy that he doesn’t expect you to like him either.
2. Rochester is exactly why I dislike Jane Eyre. I’m not sympathetic to a man who locks his wife in the attic and tries to keep that a secret from the heroine.
3. Some days I love Rhett and Scarlett. Some days I want to keel Rhett and Scarlett. People don’t understand Melanie Wilkes the way they should. She really is an exceptional person. Except for that wanting to keep having babies thing. Although she’s a creature of her time, that was just suicidal. And why the hell isn’t Ashley “I can’t make up my damned mind” Wilkes not on this list?
4. If you’re going to put Heathcliff, you’ve got to put Cathy. They just were poison together.
5. I got nothin’ good to say about those damned Havishams either.
6. Why would you put Napoleon the pig, when you could put the real Napoleon. What do you mean he’s not fictional?
7. Are people too hard on Willoughby? Is his own life and remorse his own reward? I mean, yes, he’s not cool, but he’s not nearly as bad as say, Wickham, who isn’t on the list.
Take a look at the list. Let me know what you think.